Monday 5 February 2007

On Your Bike Mate


I might regret this but not only am I growing my hair for my mates wedding (at the request of his good lady) I have decided to get fit and loose a few pounds (about fifty) for the occasion too.
A few years ago when I did not own a car I cycled everywhere ran twice a week and played a bit of football you can imagine I was a bit thinner and fitter. All that changed when I became a car owner I gave up running sold the bike and now I drive everywhere I still play football (albeit at a very slow pace!)

So in an effort to speed this process along I have decided to start cycling to work. Today was the first day so yesterday I prepared for my long four mile ride in. The first thing I did was to dig out my old cycling lycra. Let me tell you it was not pretty the fact that I have to leave home at six in the morning when it is pitch black did not make me feel any better what if i got run over the doctors would not be able to stop laughing so I would be a goner. So with that in mind I decided not to risk the cycling shirt but the shorts were not too bad and i had a pair of trousers to go over them anyway.
The next thing to do was to prepare the bike luckily I got a new one just before christmas it has a special quick release pedal system which I have used before; Many a time when coming to a set of traffic lights unable to release my "quick release" pedals resulting in me toppling over to the shouts of Timber from smart arse taxi drivers, with that in mind they were tested thoroughly. Next to be checked were my lights, I like to be very visable so with this in mind I purchased a small floodlight system the only driver in the event of me being knocked off my bike to honestly claim to "not have seen me" would be David Blunkett as these lights are so bright people will think dawn has broken when I ride past their house. The testing finished all I had to do now was set my alarm and look forward to setting off on the road to health and fitness! (and a twelve hour shift).


The big day!

Well the alarm went off at 5:40 am and surprisingly I did not turn it off roll over and have twenty more minutes wake up late and jump in the car. No the spirit was willing i was up and ready to go within ten minutes.

Off I went and it all started very well I got to the end of my street in fine form then I hit the first hill, I must have rode into work that way hundreds of times but i would almost swear that it had got steeper. Could be my arse has got bigger not the hill!.Well i got into work feelin quite pleased with myself all in all a good start. The way home was easier it always is!

Heres to a good start I hope I can keep it up!




4 comments:

jason said...

Eddie Mercs...Eat your bloody heart out.
Well I for one mate reckon that you are an incredibly........
Daft Arse.
half past bloody five.....Are you insane in the membrane?
You've just got to be careful that the elastic and lycra don't go mate.
Nah, good on ya fella.
I wonder how long the car will sit outside......?
A very enjoyable read though mate. Cheered me up after a day at work....
Keep it up
OOOOOOHHHH ER!

mark allen said...

A famous poet once wrote, a man in lycra is a real man , a man without lycra on is a dirty naked man. and should put his bike pump away.

yes that poet was me .....

soz.....

alright Cambi , check my blog out
markjallen1.blogspot.com

laters

Unknown said...

see your wearing the new university lycra uniform Dave,
maybe you can wear it the next time you come into work!

ps. when have you ever been awake before 6am anyway?

Anonymous said...

People should read this.